Producing the essential metals for today’s world requires a balanced approach in four critical areas: economic development, environment, health and safety protection and social involvement. Coeur is committed to the highest standards for environmental stewardship, protecting employee and community health and safety and fostering valuable stakeholder relationships. Why? It is simply the right thing to do and it makes good business sense.
We will comply with applicable environmental laws and regulations, health and safety laws and safe work practices, and develop and implement programs to ensure compliance. We believe a safe mine is a productive mine and will manage our sites under the principle that all losses are preventable. Each employee has the responsibility to protect the environment and their own safety, as well as those around them.
The Company strives to integrate sustainable development into the business decisions, goals and operations at each of our business locations. We proactively conduct our business with a focus on minimizing impacts to the environment, protecting health and safety, society and the economies in the communities where we operate. This philosophy can be simply stated as producing and protecting shareholder value.
- Develop and implement management systems to seek continual improvement in our environmental, health, safety and community engagement performance;
- Provide our managers and supervisors at each operation with the authority and resources necessary to carry out site-specific environmental, health, safety and social responsibility practices;
- Design, operate and close our facilities to protect the environment, our employees, our neighbors and our stakeholders;
- Conduct environmental, health and safety audits of operations and activities to ensure compliance and to reduce liability, improve profitability and document findings and progress;
- Foster open and honest communication in all aspects of stakeholder relations;
- Contribute to the health and economic well-being of surrounding communities, from exploration through closure, by fostering mutually beneficial business and community partnerships; and
- Establish accountability for all employees to exert leadership and commitment to continual improvement in environmental awareness, health and safety excellence and beneficial and lasting community relations.
The Senior Vice President of Environmental, Health, Safety and Social Responsibility (EHSSR) is responsible for developing and administering programs concerning EHSSR matters and reporting through the CEO to Coeur’s Board of Directors.